• January 19Large Group Speech in Monticello

• January 18Bowling: Girls JV vs. Thomas Jefferson (Home)

• January 18Basketball: Boys Sophomore vs. Cedar Falls (Home)

Linn-Mar Life

Caribou Coffee Versus Starbucks Coffee

Maddie Port, Contributing Reporter

Starbucks Coffee is known as the ultimate empire of the cafe realm in the United States. Its profits are incomparable to those of any other cafe chain. However, as far as product quality and cost are concerned, this empire may have fair competition. Prevalence/location, menu selection, quality, and cost can be used to decipher between the advantages and disadvantages of each coffee establishment, as well as which one may be deemed the best.

Caribou Coffee is on the rise with 448 locations across the United States, and ten international markets. Starbucks’ boasts an astounding 27,339 locations, 3,409 of which are located outside of the United States. However, not all of a company’s splendor is determined through its national and international presence.

A cafe’s menu selection and its products’ ingredient qualities are two of the main factors of a company’s success. It could be debated whether Starbucks Coffee or Caribou Coffee has the widest food and drink selection. Although Caribou Coffee has an unfavorable location radius in comparison with that of Starbucks, Caribou Coffee has many loyal customers and a decent variety of items on their menu. Their menu includes hot drinks, iced drinks, teas, smoothies, blenders, bakery items, and oatmeal. Caribou Coffee also recently bought out the company of Einstein Bros. Bagels and therefore supplies menu items such as bagels, sandwiches (breakfast and lunch), and oven toasted sandwiches as well.

Starbucks menu selection is closely comparable to that of Caribou’s and includes hot drinks, iced drinks, blenders, teas, smoothies, bakery items, sandwiches (breakfast and lunch), salads, yogurt, and fruit.

The two menus’ selections are fairly similar, but the quality and taste of their coffees are considered to be vastly different. In dark roast house blend reviews of Caribou Coffee and Starbucks Coffee by coffee consumers on the website, Influenster, Caribou Coffee’s dark roast blend, Mahogany, was given a 4.80/5 star review with 74 reviews, while Starbucks Coffee’s dark roast blend, Italian Roast, was given a 4.60/5 star rating with 289 reviews. Caribou’s dark roast was explained, by the critics of Influenster, to be a,

“…dark roast coffee that offers dry spice notes, woodsy accents, and hints of vanilla and flowers,” while Starbucks’ dark roast was explained, by the critics of Influenster, to have a,

“…distinctive earthy aroma and lingering low notes.” Each coffee consumer has varying flavor preferences and may prefer one cafe’s coffee over the other.

Not only do quality and menu selection affect a consumer’s coffee supplier preference, but cost has a large effect as well. To compare the costs of the two cafes, the prices of freshly brewed coffee from each in sizes small, medium, and large will be used. Caribou Coffee offers small (twelve fluid ounces), medium (sixteen fluid ounces), and large (twenty fluid ounces) sizing options, while Starbucks offers tall (small) (12 fluid ounces), grande (medium) (16 fluid ounces), venti (large) (twenty fluid ounces), and trenta (extra-large) (twenty-four fluid ounces). A small freshly brewed coffee at Caribou costs $1.69, with a medium costing $2.09, and a large costing $2.39. At Starbucks, a tall freshly brewed coffee costs $1.85, with a grande costing $2.10, and a venti costing $2.45.

Starbucks’ location prevalence is significantly superior to that of Caribou’s. In a cost comparison between the two, Caribou would just barely take the advantage of cheaper price. When it comes to menu selection and product quality, both Caribou and Starbucks are quite comparable. Each empire has its own advantage, location being in favor of Starbucks, and cost being in favor of Caribou, therefore making the quality of each brand’s coffee the deciding factor of which brand is truly deemed superior. The decision depends on what matters most to the consumer, location, quality, or cost. The preference and superiority truly depends on the consumer.