Teachers Have Differing Opinions on Remediation

Most Linn-Mar High School teachers allow students to remediate at least some quizzes, tests, writings and/or standards. They do this so students can study what they missed and re-do work for a better grade. This second chance to learn material is not guaranteed and all teachers address remediation differently.   Some standard-based classes allow the student to only retake the problems missed. Others make the student retake the whole quiz/standard or they allow the student to use notes on the retake.

Although remediation can be a good practice for some students, there are some advantages and disadvantages for both teachers and students. Some advantages for teachers are they get to see who took the time to work hard toward getting a good grade. According to science teacher Karla Blakely, students can do a lot to ensure they are ready to tackle assignments and tests and thus, not have to rely on remediation.

“There are some obvious things like making sure you are there in class both physically and mentally, no distractions like phones, do all the homework, doing the readings, the practice sheets, and take advantage of the extra practice on Powerschool Learning,” said Blakely.

Teachers also have different opinions on limits for remediation. For example, teachers know that very few colleges allow for remediation so always allowing it in high school might teach kids bad study habits.

“There is a point where we say this is the end and there isn’t anymore remediation, you’ve got to know the stuff before a certain date. There should be some limits, but I don’t know if it should be school imposed or if it’s up to teachers or departments. But there should be limits,” said Blakely.

Students have their own opinion on remediation. Many think remediation is good because it allows them to fix mistakes and get a better grade, but it can be kind of unfair to the students who study hard the first time and actually prepare for the quiz or test.

“Remediation is a good thing to an extent, because it gives students an opportunity to learn more of that subject or to relearn that subject,” says Ally Moses. “It’s also not a good thing because kids take advantage of it by not making an effort in class and relying on remediation to help their grade,” adds Moses.

Teachers take different approaches to remediation. Some allow the use of notes while remediating, which is controversial. Many argue that those who are not remediating did not get to use notes, so allowing others to do so is unfair.

“Remediation could be open note because they don’t have the answer for the test right in front of them, they have to look for it, which is learning, but it also depends on the teacher,” said Moses.

“I don’t think kids should be allowed to use notes on remediation because at that point they are testing again over material they should have previously known,” said Anna Huggins.

Some classes at Linn-Mar don’t allow remediation, like math and some Spanish classes. How do sudents feel about this?

“All classes should have remediation on a quiz because it helps you prepare for the test,” said Ally Moses.