An Early Morning at LMTV

Back to Article
Back to Article

An Early Morning at LMTV

Maneesh John, Staff Reporter

“With energy and excitement!” The voice of Kevin Fry rings through the studio, starting off the day’s filming. Early in the morning, though the rest of the school is as quiet as a ghost town, one little room is buzzing with activity. Anchors run their lines, camera operators push their cameras to capture different angles, and technicians control sound and video through many controls and computer screens. In the middle of it all, the watchful eyes of Mr. Fry oversee everything. Welcome to LMTV.

LMTV is our student-run school TV channel. Many of us have seen the LMTV morning show or the short update aired at 10:10 in some classes, but very few people know what really goes into making each show. Even the students that work at LMTV may not know the history of our school news studio.

LMTV started in 2003, in one tiny room with two VHS cameras. It was after the show choir Supernova event when the Linn-Mar librarian at the time suggested setting up a school TV channel. The first broadcast was on the last day of the school year, with just one anchor—Sarah Kelley, who is now an ELL teacher here. After that successful first broadcast, LMTV was officially established. In 2010, they moved from their tiny studio—which is now the Riff Room in the Learning Center—and moved to a much bigger studio just past the stairs by the Lecture Hall.

There are around forty students in total that have participated in various roles at LMTV this year. Each student contributes something to the smooth operation of the show, whether they work in front of the cameras or behind them. Anchor, camera operator, floor director, teleprompter operator, twenty-four hour news channel operator—these are just a few of the many jobs that students can do.

“We could always use more people,” says Mr. Fry. If you’re worried about being on live TV, generally, for a show, there are many more students working behind the scenes than on-screen. Whether you would like to be an anchor or do something behind the scenes, LMTV has a place for you.

The only catch is, you do have to get to school early in the morning. Filming starts at 7:07 every morning. Although this may seem early, the rewards can be well worth it. LMTV can be counted toward CORDS hours. “It also builds communication skills,” says Mr. Fry. Even if you’re not an anchor, the teamwork and collaboration needed to make a good broadcast is a great experience.

Behind-the-scenes and on-screen, these students are the ones who make our school TV channel possible. All of that hard work is what allows us to watch the morning announcements every day. If you’re interested in being a part of that, LMTV always welcomes new members. Even if you have no interest in bringing the announcements to the student body, hopefully, you learned something new. LMTV is an amazing school organization that rarely gets the spotlight, even though it shines the spotlight on everyone else.