Brady Klahn Loves All Things Basketball

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brady Klahn Loves All Things Basketball

Kit Iyer, Contributing Reporter

Linn-Mar junior Brady Klahn explained that no matter what he goes through in his life or what he has to overcome, he always has something to turn to.

“Basketball helps me take my mind off things, and when I’m playing, I don’t have to worry about anything else.”

Brady describes himself as polite, caring, hard-working, and smart, some of the time. He adds the “some of the time” due to the fact that he does some things he’s not supposed to. He also said that without sports, especially basketball, he would not be where he is today.

He started playing basketball at the age of four, when his parents signed his older sister up for it and he forced them to sign him up, too. He also played baseball for 11 years starting when he was four but he quit when he was a freshman because he said he didn’t want to work at it. He also played football for three years from the age of 10 to 13 and then decided to go back out for it his junior year of high school. When people were surprised to see him on the field again he explained how he missed it and felt like it was his best sport at one time so he wanted to start it back up and see how it would go.

Since he had been playing numerous sports since childhood, it didn’t surprise people when Brady turned to sports to cope with things going on in his life.

In November of 2010, trouble came for Brady and his family when his grandpa passed away from kidney cancer that had spread to his brain. He said that his favorite memory to this day is when he and his grandpa would eat Oreos together before his mom made them breakfast.

Losing a loved one is never easy, but for this young boy, who was a third grader at the time, things got even harder.

Four months after his grandpa died, he found out that his parents were getting a divorce. Within the next two months, he says a lot of things changed for him.

At the time he was going to school with all of his friends at Westfield but had to switch to Linn-Grove.

“The people there were just a little different and I didn’t have any friends.”

He explained that since he was so young at the time he didn’t really know how to feel about the divorce, let alone begin to understand why it happened. He just turned to sports to get his mind off it, because he knew how to feel when he was playing. He says when he competes, it’s like nothing else matters. To him, winning is one of the best aspects about sports.

Three months after his parents had separated, he was introduced to his mom’s new boyfriend, who would soon become her new husband, Chris. Within the next month, he became Brady’s new stepdad and moved in with them.

“My mom getting remarried didn’t really affect me that much, I just saw it as another person to hang out with.”

Even now though, as he has grown up, Brady says he would say the same thing about his step-dad. He says he makes his mom happy, and she is one of the most important people in his life so he is thankful that he came into his life.

Through all of that, Brady remained sports-driven and compassionate about the things he loves, which got him to where he is today. When asked any question, basketball somehow consistently worked its way into his answer. Consider the following:

What do you do in your free time? “Play basketball”

What is your dream? “Play college basketball”

What makes you happy? “Basketball”

What could you not live without? “Basketball”

Why did you quit baseball? “Took time away from basketball”

Where do you want to go to college? “Anywhere that will let me play basketball”

There was, however, eventually some variety in his answers.

Where do you want to live after school?

“Texas because there is no income tax there and I think most of my friends are going to move there after college, too.”

What do you want to do after school?

“I want to start my own chiropractic and sports therapy business.”

Are there any political/social issues you feel strongly about?

“I believe there needs to be stricter gun laws and I support pro-choice rights.”

Name one thing that most people may not know about you?

“I feel like I don’t have any weird things that people know about me, besides the fact that my parents thought I was allergic to milk for a really long time and now I drink it all the time.”

When writing a story about your life, what chapter would you leave out?

“My middle school years because I was very shy, awkward, and not confident until I got into high school.”

What is your biggest fear?

“Probably affecting people’s life in a negative way because I care a lot about what people think of me and how I treat them. Or snakes and alligators, because those are terrifying.”

What would you do if you won the lottery?

“I don’t think I would do what most people do and go on an extravagant vacation or buy a beautiful new house or car. I would probably save it to help open my business and support my family when I decide to start one. But I wouldn’t really know what I would do in the moment unless I actually won, which would be pretty awesome.”