• January 19Large Group Speech in Monticello

• January 18Bowling: Girls JV vs. Thomas Jefferson (Home)

• January 18Basketball: Boys Sophomore vs. Cedar Falls (Home)

Linn-Mar Life

Slut-Shaming Never Okay

Skylar Beck, Contributing Reporter

Slut-shaming has been around for decades and unfortunately, any time someone wants to put down another female, this phrase is commonly thrown around.

According to the dictionary, a slut is a woman who sleeps with a lot of people and/or a woman who is not typically clean. In the olden days, wearing too much makeup could be considered slutty whereas now, it’s often more about the type of clothing a woman wears. Short skirts and dresses or revealing tops often lead to negative and shameful comments. Women who face slut-shaming often develop long lasting negative effects from the harassment.

Stacey Khadaroo, a staff writer of Christian Science Monitor, stated, “Girls learn early on that they really want to avoid the label ‘slut.’ It condemns them as promiscuous, and it enforces a double standard compared with what’s acceptable for men.”

Young girls are told by friends, family, or even strangers that dressing, acting, or being slutty is wrong. Girls who wear crop tops, short shorts, or anything else that shows too much skin are deemed sluts. It doesn’t even matter if the person being labeled as promiscuous has never slept with anyone, clearly by the way she dresses she is a slut.

Slut-shaming often leads to bigger problems, such as promoting rape culture. Many girls who have been raped have not said anything about it because they are scared of being slut-shamed. A rapist’s most famous line is, “Well, she was asking for it.” Too many rapists have gotten away with their crime by using some form of this line.

One court case in Ireland involved a seventeen-year-old rape victim. The man who was accused of raping her said that she was asking for it. His lawyer held up the seventeen-year-old victim’s underwear and said, “You have to look at the way she was dressed. She was wearing a thong with a lace front.” The girl lost the court case because jurors were led to believe that she was asking for the sexual assault due to the way she was dressed. People were very disgusted by this case and started protesting by posting their underwear on social media with the tagline #Thisisnotaskingforit.” A similar court case happened a while ago and that victim actually committed suicide due to the slut-shaming.

Victims of slut-shaming can become depressed, self-conscious, and can fear other people. The constant name calling causes people to doubt themselves and to feel inferior to other women. Most people who slut-shame on social media also harass the person face to face. No matter how the abuse manifests itself, it can cause long-term damage. This shame can even make women fear men because they have been in a bad situation.

Women are slut-shamed every day and it needs to end because of the negative effects it can have on women. Women should not have to fear men or feel inferior to them because of what they wear.